CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 15, 2011

Baby Madden

What better way to begin blogging than to talk about the most recent happiest day of our lives...the arrival of our sweet baby, Madden Luke. Let's start from the beginning, shall we? :)

Most of you know that Madden was a very BIG baby. My entire pregnancy was a breeze though. I joke all the time that my next pregnancy may do me in because I had no problems with this pregnancy, except for the occasional heartburn and swollen ankles. I had no idea I was carrying around a 10 pounder. I personally thought I was having a large baby, but due to the fact that I knew so many people that looked as if they were going to have whoppers and only having given birth to average weight babies had me second guessing myself.

My belly was HUGE, to say the least. I had belly pictures taken in November when I was 7 months along, but looked as if I was due any day. My due date was January 21, but I just KNEW I wouldn't last that long...there was no way! Even everybody in our family was betting that I'd go into labor in December. I kept getting asked if I were having the little "twitches", or braxton hicks. I think I tricked myself into thinking I was, but in actually reality I never had any. I don't think my body was ever going to prepare to give birth.

By the time January 11th rolled around, I was headed for my second to last appoitment. I was a little over 38 weeks and my doctor was just about to send me on my way, as usual. I thought it was very strange considering how big I was. I was 38 weeks and hadn't made any change since the last appointment. So, I had to ask how he felt about induction. He said he was all for it, but there was no medical need for it. He said I had to wait until I was 39 weeks, due to new hospital regulations. I would have been 39 weeks that same Friday, but he didn't induce on weekends. Therefore, he made me wait until the following Wednesday, only TWO days before my due date!

I had to go in for a last minute check-up just to make sure everything was a go. I still had no change and hadn't had any contractions at all. There's no telling how much longer my body would have endured that pregnancy OR how much bigger Madden would have been!

I went in, as scheduled on January 19 at 6 am. They immediately began the process. I knew then with that first contraction, even though is was very mild, that I had never felt that before. 8 am rolled around and my doctor came in to break my water. I labored for 6 more hours and finally asked for some relief. They gave me Stadol, amazing stuff! I was embarrasingly drunk from it. I had been in labor for 8 hours but was hysterically laughing my tail off! I remember 10 plus people in the room and all I could do was laugh...I'm still embarrased and they're still laughing. Needless to say, that wonder drug WORKED. :)

Around 3 pm, I was given my Epidural. Wonder drug #2. Around 5:30 pm, my doctor came and checked me, but I was only at a 4. He told me he was going to give me a couple more hours and then if there was still no change, he was going to take the baby. He said there was no sense in me laboring all night long to deliver what he knew was a large baby. Then he just left me there pretty much HOPING I would have no change. All I could imagine was giving birth to a whopper of a baby, and I'm sure you can imagine what all that entailed. Finally, around 7 pm he came back in, and just as I had thought, there was no change. 12 hours passed and NO change...how does that happen?!

I suddenly became very aware and very scared about what was about to happen. Also, I knew I was only minutes away from becoming a mommy. While J.R. was getting dressed in his proper attire, I was getting hugs and kisses from family as they took me back to prep for surgery. I remember barely being able to keep my eyes open I was so out of it from the drugs. J.R. stared at me the entire time, NEVER taking his eyes off mine.

Finally, I hear Dr. Vineyard say, "Oh, wow! We've got us a Linebacker, Dad!" J.R.'s eyes lit up. I was choking back tears as I heard my baby cry for the first time...the most beautiful sound I've every heard! As I was getting stitched back up, they took the baby to be weighed. J.R. came running back in yelling, "He's ten pounds, one and a half ounces!! And babe, he's got your hair!" :' )

Afterwards, I had to go back into recovery for an hour without my husband OR my baby. :( That was the worst part of it all! When I was finally out and in my room, I heard the little wheels on the cart coming down the hall. Our poor baby was starving! I worried my whole pregnancy that I would have nursing problems, but Madden knew exactly what to do. That was the most precious moment of my life! God has blessed me with the most loving husband and most precious baby. I am so utterly grateful for the family He has given me. I don't know where I'd be without them! God knows my heart's desires and has been so abudant in fulfilling them. Thank You, Lord...thank YOU!




0 comments:

Post a Comment